ALS Hydrographics is a diverse and dynamic provider of hydro-meteorological products and services. We specialise in the supply and operation of a wide range of monitoring systems for long term, continuous monitoring of many environmental parameters including water, weather and air quality.
About the Position
Are you adventurous?
Looking for a specialised technical career, using the latest technology, working outdoors monitoring the environment?
Do you enjoy variety and work balance that is physical, creative, technical and science orientated?
Starting a career as a hydrographer may be your chance to enter a niche industry in high demand with many specialised opportunities, once qualified.
The ALS Hydrographics Team in Mackay are seeking ambitious applicants for the position of trainee / junior hydrographer. The successful candidate will receive on-the-job training, enrolment and support to complete Cert IV – Diploma of Water Operations (hydrography).
Responsibilities of the role include:
- Provide best practice Hydrographic services for clients.
- Install, service, operate and maintain automatic environmental monitoring stations with a strict emphasis on quality.
- Collect environmental data from automatic monitoring stations with data to be verified using computer software package before supply to clients.
- Accurate record keeping including field observations, photographs, maps and calibration checks.
- Flow measurement in rivers, creeks and drains.
- Undertake manual sampling activities from both surface water and groundwater, using a range of techniques with adherence to QA principles and procedures.
- Sound knowledge of, and adherence to, HSE principals.
The ideal candidate would have the majority of the following attributes, and be willing to undertake further training and development as required:
- Completed High School Certificate (or equivalent training).
- A mixture of technical, mechanical and electronics aptitude.
- Good problem solving skills.
- High level of attention to detail.
- Organisation and time management skills.
- Hobbies and interests that are of a technical nature.
- Aptitude for extensive outdoor work.
- Able to work within a variety of environmental conditions.
- Able to work away from home for extended periods.
- Good oral and written communication skills and client-focussed.
- Strong team player.
- Current valid manual car license.
- Ability to perform manual handling tasks.
- Ability to swim.
- Eligible to enrol in the Diploma of Water Industry Operations (Hydrography).
Furthermore, the ideal candidate would possess:
- Some training and experience in Hydrography.
- Some Hydstra Data Management experience.
- Some groundwater monitoring experience.
- Some water sampling experience.
This is an excellent opportunity for a self-motivated person to join a dynamic company that can offer both on the job training and industry package (hydrography) training to create a rewarding career path.
Looking for further details?
Applications covering relevant attributes and experience should be submitted via:
Contact: Scott Williams, email email@example.com / tel. 07 4936 3388.
Applications close Monday 21 August 2017