In 2017, the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training launched the new Diploma of Water Industry Operations NWP50715. The Diploma has special requirements and subjects for the Hydrography specialisation.
AHA has entered a partnership with TAFE NSW to deliver the Diploma at a discounted price.
Units of competency and timetable
The standard Diploma of Water Industry Operations (Hydrography) offered through AHA includes the following units of competency:
|Unit code||Unit name||When offered #|
|NWPGEN002||Ensure compliance with water industry guidelines, standards and legislation †||Semester 1|
|NWPGEN006||Implement and manage environmental management policies, plans, procedures and programs †||Semester 2|
|BSBWHS502||Manage effective WHS consultation and participation processes †||Semester 1|
|NWPHYD001||Apply principles of open channel hydraulics *||Semester 1|
|NWPHYD011||Measure and process low and medium flows using area velocity methods *||Semester 2|
|NWPHYD015||Undertake Survey of monitoring sites †||Semester 2|
|NWPHYD016||Process and report hydrometric time series data *||Semester 1|
|NWPHYD017||Develop and maintain ratings *||Semester 1|
|LGAWORK503A||Undertake project investigation *||Semester 2|
† indicates that the unit of competency is delivered by TAFE NSW (enrolling through the AHA for these units enables the student to receive a significant discount on normal TAFE fees).
* indicates that the requirements of this competency are part of the syllabus of AHA intermediate hydrography subjects. A candidate must register for an AHA intermediate hydrography subject to complete this unit of competency. Following successful assessment, AHA will forward the candidate’s work and assessment results to NSW TAFE along with an application for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) against the equivalent Diploma subject.
# NOTE: Semester 1 is February-June, Semester 2 is July-November. Our recommended rate of learning is 3 units per semester from the list above.
Candidates who have previously completed unit of competency AHCLPW306A Undertake sampling and testing of water may apply for credit transfer in lieu of completing one AHA intermediate hydrography subject.
Credit for units studied previously
Where a candidate has previously completed a unit listed by the Department of Education and Training as part of the Diploma of Water Industry Operations NWP50715, TAFE NSW may recognise a credit transfer as part of the requirements for the Diploma.¶
Where a candidate believes they have previously completed a unit or course of study which covers the same elements and performance criteria, the candidate can apply to TAFE NSW for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) against the equivalent Diploma subject.‡ (This process requires rigid mapping and comparison of elements and performance criteria)
†Price per unit of competency delivered by TAFE NSW:
- Full price: AU$1200 inc. GST
- AHA Member discounted price: AU$1000 inc. GST
*Price per unit of competency where a student completes an AHA intermediate hydrography subject and is granted RPL:
- No cost
¶ Credit transfer for previously completed qualifications from another TAFE NSW Institute or another RTO, evidence for application of credit transfer may include documents such as course transcripts or statement of results:
- Full price: AU$150 inc. GST per application for one or more units
- AHA Member discounted price: AU$100 inc. GST per application for one or more units
‡Price for RPL per unit of competency based on previous study and experience:
- Full price: AU$500 inc. GST per unit
- AHA Member discounted price: AU$450 inc. GST per unit
Step 1. If you do not already have a USI (Unique Student Identifier), create your USI now.
Step 2. Complete the Diploma request form… see below.
Step 3. On receipt of the form, AHA will provide you with details on how to enrol for the Diploma with TAFE NSW. There is no fee for enrolling in the Diploma.
Step 4. Access units of competency:
- Units delivered by TAFE NSW: After you enrol for the Diploma with TAFE NSW, AHA will advise how to access these units of competency. AHA will invoice you for these units.
- AHA intermediate hydrography subjects: register at the AHA Training webpage.
Note: Your enrolment with TAFE NSW lasts for two years. If you do not complete the Diploma in that timeframe you will need to re-enrol.
- Administration and enrolment, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Technical and training, contact email@example.com
- Phone 02 6296 2795