In 2017, the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training launched the new Diploma of Water Industry Operations NWP50715. The Diploma has special requirements and subjects for the Hydrography specialisation.
The Diploma of Water Industry Operations (Hydrography) delivered by TAFE NSW through AHA (in a business arrangement) includes nine units of competency to be completed over 2 years. Consequently direct all communication to AHA — do not try to contact TAFE directly.
Two intakes each year:
- Intake 1 – February
- Intake 2 – July
- February–June (finish subjects by first week June)
- July–December (finish subjects by last week November)
Two year plan
For each candidate, AHA will create a two year personal training plan online with the order of subjects and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)/credits.
- TAFE unit†: NWPGEN002 Ensure compliance with water industry guidelines, standards and legislation
- AHA subject*: Principles of hydraulics
(includes requirements for NWPHYD001 Apply principles or open channel Hydraulics)
- AHA subject*: Hydrometric data
(includes requirements for NWPHYD016 Process and report Time Series Data)
- TAFE unit†: BSBWHS502 Manage effective WHS consultation and participation process
- AHA subject*: Gaugings
(includes requirements for NWPHYD011 Measure an process medium flows using area velocity methods)
- TAFE unit†: NWPHYD015 Undertake survey of monitoring sites
- TAFE unit†: NWPGEN006 Implement and manage environmental management policies, procedures and programs
- AHA subject*: Ratings
(includes requirements for NWPHYD017 Develop and Maintain Ratings)
- AHA subject*: Practical hydrography project
(includes requirements for LGAWORK503A Undertake project investigation)
† indicates that the unit of competency is delivered by TAFE NSW (enrolling through the AHA for these units enables the student to receive a significant discount on normal TAFE fees).
* indicates that the candidate must study the AHA subject which includes the requirements of this TAFE unit of competency. Following successful assessment, AHA will forward the candidate’s work and assessment results to NSW TAFE along with an application for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) against the equivalent Diploma subject.
For anyone outside this standard program, we customise the personal training plan because a candidate:
- is starting late so can’t do all the subjects in a block, or
- needs to do some subjects out of order for work reasons, or
- applies for Recognition of Prior Learning: Where a candidate believes they have previously completed a unit or course of study which covers the same elements and performance criteria, the candidate can apply to TAFE NSW for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) against the equivalent Diploma subject.‡ (This process requires rigid mapping and comparison of elements and performance criteria)
- applies for Credits for units studied previously: Where a candidate has previously completed a unit listed by the Department of Education and Training as part of the Diploma of Water Industry Operations NWP50715, TAFE NSW may recognise a credit transfer as part of the requirements for the Diploma.¶
- has previously completed unit of competency AHCLPW306A Undertake sampling and testing of water may apply for credit transfer in lieu of completing one AHA hydrography subject.
†Price per unit of competency delivered by TAFE NSW:
- Full price: AU$1200 inc. GST
- AHA Member discounted price: AU$1000 inc. GST
*Price for subjects (tuition and RPL) delivered by AHA:
- Full price: AU$1200 inc. GST per unit
- AHA Member discounted price: AU$1000 inc. GST per unit
‡Price for RPL per unit of competency based on previous study and experience:
- Full price: AU$500 inc. GST per unit
- AHA Member discounted price: AU$450 inc. GST per unit
¶ Credit transfer for previously completed qualifications from another TAFE NSW Institute or another RTO, evidence for application of credit transfer may include documents such as course transcripts or statement of results:
- Full price: AU$150 inc. GST per application for one or more units
- AHA Member discounted price: AU$100 inc. GST per application for one or more units
- Administration and enrolment, contact email@example.com
- Technical and training, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 02 6296 2795
Do not contact TAFE NSW, since under the contract AHA handles all contact with students.