On this page…
- AHA training: Introduction to hydrography
- AHA training: Hydrometric fundamentals and competencies
- Register for training
Introduction to Hydrography
Introduction to Hydrography is a course which covers topics deemed essential by industry for new river, stream and groundwater hydrographers. It does not cover Hydrographic Surveying. It is suitable for candidates who are employed with access to hydrometric monitoring equipment and software..
Cost of course:
- Full price AU$3100 inc. GST (includes offer of complimentary membership)
- AHA Member discounted price AU$2650 inc. GST
Students who successfully complete the Introduction course and who enrol in Diploma of Water Industry Operations within 24 months of completing the Introduction course, will receive a 50% discount on the five subjects taught by AHA.
This course is delivered online, by experienced hydrography trainers.
Subject areas covered include
- Site selection
- Site installation
- Water level measurement
- Introduction to discharge rating curves
- Hydrographic instrumentation
- Introduction to water quality sampling and monitoring
- Current meter gauging (includes manual and acoustic Doppler methods)
- Stream gauging station survey
- Current meter calibration
- Stream sediment sampling
Hydrometric Fundamentals and Competency Subjects
AHA is developing a suite of hydrometric subjects deemed essential by industry. Currently six subjects are available.
AHA subjects are delivered by experienced trainers nationally. Training can involve written material, assignments, assessment and tutorials.
Click on course name for subject outline
- Principles of hydraulics [Subject outline]
- Hydrometric data [Subject outline]
- Gaugings [Subject outline]
- Ratings [Subject outline]
- Practical hydrography project [Subject outline]
- Water quality monitoring [Subject outline]
Each subject meets or exceeds the requirements of a unit in the Diploma of Water Industry Operations (hydrography). See the AHA Diploma page to request Diploma enrolment.
You can also choose to study these subjects by themselves without completing the Diploma.
Cost per subject:
- Tuition fees (does not include RPL towards the Diploma):
- Full price: AU$800 inc. GST per subject
- AHA Member discounted price: AU$650 inc. GST per subject
If you wish to study these subjects as part of the Diploma, see the AHA Diploma page.
Register for AHA Training
Use this form (below) to register for training where AHA subjects will not count to the Diploma. To register for a subject and also receive credit for the Diploma of Water Industry Operations (Hydrography), follow the Diploma application procedure.